I had a friend send me this list of "You Know You're Obsessed with Triathlons When..." and I had forgotten about it until I recently saw it on another blog. I read it, had a good chuckle, and then took around and assessed my own situation....yikes! According to this list, I may be on the road to obsession! Look at the pics and note numbers 44 and 15...hmmm.
Also threw in a pic of my training partner (posing by the permanent bike fixture in my living room) who forces me to get out there and run on the days my motivation is low...he also dutifully watches as I log hours on the bike. I often get scared he's going to stick his nose in the back wheel while he's sniffing around and checking to make sure all my connections are tight!
YOU KNOW YOU ARE OBSESSED WHEN...
50. You are over 30 and there is still someone in your life that you refer
to as "coach".
49. Your last bike cost more than your first car.
48. You have peed outdoors more times in the last year than you did in your
first year of university.
47. You think of mowing the lawn as a form of cross-training.
46. You've worn a heart-rate monitor to bed.
45. And it wasn't when you were sleeping.
44. You refer to the front hall of your house as the "transition area".
43. When you get home from a training session at the pool, the newspaper is
just being delivered to your house.
42. You have changed more flat tires this year than light bulbs.
41. The most frequently used software program on your computer is the one
that keeps track of your workouts.
40. You have no idea why they call Cal Ripken Jr. "Iron Man" when, after
all, he was a baseball player.
39. The first three items on your grocery list are Gatorade, power bars, and
38. When you floss at night, it's to get the bugs out of your teeth.
37. Your legs move in a cycling motion while you are asleep.
36. When you see a drop of blood, your first reaction is that you spilled
some red Gatorade.
35. You know how far you biked and ran last year, to one-tenth of a
34. You think the ultimate form of wallpaper is about 64 racing bibs.
33. A 19-year old kid who works in a bicycle shop know more about you than
your next-door neighbor.
32. Your children are more likely to recognize you if you put your bicycle
31. You have a vanity license plate with the work "Kona" in it.
30. About half the shirts you own have at least a dozen logos on the back of
29. You don't find the word "Fartlek" in the least bit amusing.
28. When you refer to your "partner", you mean neither your spouse nor the
co-owner of your business but the person you run or bike with three times a
27. You shave your legs more often than your wife.
26. The closest you came to punching somebody was when they disagreed with
your position on whether wearing a wetsuit amounts to cheating.
25. It doesn't feel right that you can't "clip " in and out of the pedals in
24. There is a group of people in your life about whom you are more likely
to know how fast they can swim 100 meters than their surnames or
23. Some of the shorts you wear today are tighter than the ones you wore in
22. You are frustrated with the latest Garmin Forerunner because its live
readings have a margin of error of approximately three per cent.
21. There's a separate load of laundry every week that is just your workout
20. One of your goals this year is to be faster at getting out of your
19. You failed high school chemistry but you could teach a course on lactic
18. All you want for Christmas is something called a carbon crank set.
17. You wore a digital watch to your wedding.
16. You have to have completely separate meals from your spouse because he
or she is on a low-carb diet.
15. Your bicycle is in your living room.
14. You have stocked up on a brand of cereal because it has a coupon that
will save you money on your next two pairs of running shoes.
13. In order to establish a new personal best, you considered peeing without
getting off your bike.
12. One of your proudest moments is when you lost a toenail.
11. When a car follows too closely behind you, you accuse the driver of
10. When you went for a job interview, you wrote your social insurance
number on your arm in black marker.
9. Your spouse cried during Terms of Endearment; you cried during the
television coverage of the Hawaii Ironman.
8. You are comfortable discussing the sensitivity of your nipples with other
7. Your spouse is looking forward to the day when you will slow down and
just run marathons.
6. You have paused in front of the mirror in your wetsuit and thought, "Hey,
I look like Spiderman.
5. You see no issue with talking about treatments for chafing or saddle rash
at the dinner table.
4. You recently asked your spouse out for dinner by asking if he or she
wanted to "fuel up" together.
3. For you, "bonking" no longer has a sexual connotation.
2. The magazine secretly tucked under your mattress has pictures of really
expensive bicycles in it.
And the No 1 sign you're obsessed:
1. Most of this list doesn't seem like a joke to you.