Thursday, February 5, 2009

Climb Every Mountain!


I FINALLY went on a bike ride outside this past weekend...temperatures were above the freezing level (a lovely 58 degrees) and it was a "blue bird" day, not a cloud in the sky!  I met up with Ben, Sarah, Spence and Heath and we hit the Natchez Trace Parkway for a two hour ride.  The Trace, as Nashvillians call it, is a very unforgiving stretch of 400 miles of rolling road that starts in Nashville and finishes in Mississippi (I believe Tupelo).  There are no commercial vehicles allowed on the Trace so it's a bikers dream.  You can go for miles before seeing a car and are more likely to see some "killer boots" on middle aged men living out their Hell's Angels fantasies on their Harley's.

After a hilly 6 mile run and 2 hours on the Trace I was spent.  My legs felt like jelly and I had to watch the Super Bowl in the horizontal position with a pillow on the ground at John and Melissa's.  It was a little bit of a wake up call...time to suck it up and get on your bike, and not in the comfort of your living room watching reruns of Scrubs (I know, I know, it's such a funny show!).  

Looking at the elevation chart of the CDA IM (above) only confirms the fact that my ass is going to be chapped from all the riding I need to do!  I guess I can't sit around and wait for the weather to get better before I get outside again...I will throw on another layer, dig out the balaclava, and leave the ice out of the water bottles.  No one's going to be able to hear me yell "car back!" through neck gaiter!  

No comments:

Post a Comment